How can I get my electrics certified?

How can I get my electrics certified?

Printer-friendly version

In 2006 I applied for building approval for moving the kitchen to another area of my flat. A council surveyor did two inspections before the works were completed. I was told that a Part P electrical certificate was necessary before getting a final approval. And here is the problem: I never got the Part P installation certificate as the guy who did the job disappeared. A registered electrician who made some adjustments in 2012 never gave me a certificate (I stupidly payed him before getting it).

I have been told that only the electrician who carried out the works (in my case in 2006) can supply "an installation certificate", and this of course makes sense but is not possible. And that a "periodic inspection report" is not enough.

More importantly I was told by the council that I cannot apply for regularisation as I DID apply for the Building Control.

I would like to sell my flat and I think it might be a problem not having the building approval. I am stressed and worried.

Not sure if it matters: I recently bought the share of freehold and the floorplan of the flat shows the kitchen where it is now, not where it was before the works.

I hope someone finds some time to reply to me. Thank you so much in any case.

Asked by cesca