This grade II listed Georgian country house was constructed in 1768 in the heart of a Northumberland estate. The property was originally built for the industrialist Ralph Soulsby and sits within 60 acres of formal grounds, woodland and grassland.
This is a great example of incorporating masonry, stonework and timber to create a classic, double lantern orangery. The new glazed extension complements and integrates with the original stonework and scale of the main house.
The traditional floor-to-ceiling glazing is in an eight-pane configuration, with a Paxton two-pane clerestory above. Extra-wide pilasters give body to the structure. The rear of the orangery is built in stone.
Hampton Quattro-Glide sliding sash windows have been installed into the main building to match those installed throughout the house.
The orangery is a light filled room, located just off the kitchen. It is used to relax but also as an informal or formal evening dining area.