Designing your new home is one of the most exciting things about self building. This interactive masterclass will explain everything to consider in the design of your new home bespoke to you.
It will take you through the process of developing a design, beginning with establishing your budget and understanding the constraints and opportunities inherent in your plot. We will help you think about how you might want to live in your new home and guide you through the process of creating a design brief and working with a designer all the way through to a planning submission.
You will also learn about the design work needed to make a Building Regulations submission.
This training course is delivered by Paul Newman, Potton’s Self Build Director and lasts 4 hours with a break for lunch. It is delivered virtually via Zoom and will allow audience participation and the ability to share experiences. A booking is based on one device – for one or two people.
COURSE CONTENTS INCLUDE:
- Forming a Design Brief: What you’re hoping to achieve, considerations of budget, how you want the house to look both internally and externally.
- Preparing for Planning: Any design restrictions, positioning of the house on the plot, fitting in with the street scene and local vernacular.
- Creating Your Design: The design stages – feasibility, concept and outline design and detailed design development.
- Choosing a Build System: The types of building systems available.
- Building Regulations: The work involved in preparing for Building Regulations submission.
- Energy Efficiency: Discussing the different options for self builders to build greener homes.