Building Dispute – Holding Documents to Ransom

15 December 2017
by Archive

My builder’s last invoice contains some items that I am not happy with, and one of them includes an element which (because it will not pass building regs) is below the quality threshold. As such, I do not wish to pay it in full.

My priority though is to get a completion certificate, and I need calcs and waterproofing warranty from my builder’s sub-contractors to do that. He, of course, is holding these to ransom, so in effect can charge me whatever suits his fancy before he’s willing to pass them over.

Is it best for me to pay and then sue to recover the costs I am unhappy to pay, or are there other ways to obtain the documentation I need?

Asked by Bgregster

There is one comment

Our sponsors