How can I connect my house to services?

1 July 2021
by Karen Humphreys

I am a self builder with a builder who will project manage and build the single-storey house I am planning to build.

I have been asked by my architect to make sure I have enquired about new gas, electric and water connections to the property apparently application for this work can take some time.

I asked my builder about it this morning and he said to ring up suppliers and ask about supplies for a new dwelling. He indicated it would be cheaper to go to one supplier. Does anyone know who I should call. Obviously Thames water for the water but for gas and electricity. I have heard of the National Grid but not sure if they are the starting point?

Can anyone help point me in the right direction please?

Thank you

2 Answers

  1. Jen Grimble says:

    Hi Karen,

    Thanks for your question. It depends where you live and who your suppliers are. Please take a look at these guides to setting up services and perhaps speak to your local council about how to arrange this:

    You should also speak to your architect and builder, as they should know who you need to speak to.

  2. Chris says:

    Hi Karen,

    The companies you’ll need to contact are known as Distribution Network Operators (DNO) – and it’s definitely a good idea to get in touch with them asap, to get clarity on costs and lead-times for both any temporary supplies you need during the building works (electrics/water) and the permanent supplies for the finished house.

    (In fact, for those who don’t already own their plot, it’s sensible to contact your DNO before you make your offer to buy to get an initial quote. If costs are unexpectedly high you can then factor this into your offer for the site).

    The Energy Networks Association offers a search facility to help you identify the relevant gas and electric network operators in your region, which you can find here:

    If your architect/builder team are able to confirm exactly what you need, you can usually go straight ahead and fill out an application form. If you’re unsure, I believe most DNOs (certainly in my area) will offer a site visit with one of their surveyors.

    Hope that helps!

    Chris (editor, Build It)

Leave a Reply

You may be interested in

Our sponsors