Planning Permission: Application Fees To Go Up By 20%

Planning applications fees are going up next week. What does it mean for self-builders and renovators?
Sofia Delgado
by Sofia Delgado
12th January 2018

Planning applications fees will increase by a 20% from January 17, the government has announced.

Self-builders and renovators in England seeking planning permission from their council face higher tariffs to carry out work.

Additionally, a fee of £462 will be applicable to outline planning permission applications per 0.1 hectare.

Victorian renovation in London with no planning application required
Some renovation works may not need planning permission
Garden room permitted development
You should check with your council if your ideal garden room is permitted development

The hefty increase will likely prompt homeowners in England to do further research on how to get planning permission first time to avoid blowing up budget before commencing works.

Homeowners wishing to build an extension or outbuilding that requires formal permission will need to cough up £206 in householder planning consent forms in England; £202 in Scotland; and £190 in Wales.

Do I need planning permission?

Not all household works require planning permission from your council. Smaller extensions and outbuildings could fall under permitted developments rights. This guidance also include loft conversions that do not affect your home’s height.

You don’t need to formally notify the council about these works, so there are no fees to pay.

But do some research before you start building, as your project could sit within a grey area of planning permission.

The government has now introduced a £96 fee for prior approval applications to permitted development rights introduced in April 2015 and April 2017. However, these are not applicable to residential use.

“This change is not relevant to self-builders,” says Build It planning expert Mike Dade. “There are no fees for notification of so-called larger extensions, as this addition to permitted development rules came in in 2013.”

Do I need prior approval application?

Prior approval application fees are already applied for change of use of farm buildings, retail and storage facilities to residential. So if you wish to convert an old barn, you’ll need to request the change of use from the council before submitting any planning applications.

“People in England already pay fees for change of use,” says Mike. “However, these will go up too because of the 20% increase.”

Permission in principle fees

The government has also published regulations that enable permission in principle applications with a fee of £402 per 0.1 hectare. The new regulations will come into force on June 1, with further planning guidance to be published soon.

Graven Hill's new pocket plots with outline planning permission

Graven Hill has used the permission in principle process

Local authorities can use permission in principle to develop brownfield land and outline an area for residential use.

“It is establishing the very broad principle that x number of houses might be built on a piece of land,” explains Mike. “It will remain to be seen after planning guidance is published how this will be applied.”

An example of this planning process being used is the self-build and custom build development Graven Hill, where permission was granted for various plots to become available for residential constructions

Leave a Reply

You may be interested in

Our sponsors